Get the NZMCA Travel App
What's up with the app lately?
*We've had a major update recently and now have a facility/amenity filter in place for the sites.
*Having issues logging in, or app not loading properly or suddenly crashing? Read below for suggested solutions.
New filter functionality makes it easier to look through sites
Ever wondered how you can look up sites that are dog-friendly or have power? Now with the facility/amenity filter you can. Look for the filter icon which looks like a funnel which you can find at the end of every site category; select the filters you want and when you go back to the site category, the filter you've selected has winnowed down the displayed sites that have that facility. Note that the filter will be in place until you de-select it.
Having issues logging in?
Are you unable to log in? Make sure to enter your MAC code in upper-case letters. Is the app crashing when you try to open a site? Check if you have Campermate installed. At the moment, you can't have both apps installed for Android devices (both share the same back-end platform); you have to delete one. Just make sure the app has been updated; if you have Android, looking it up on the Play Store will indicate if it needs to be updated. For IOS, your iPhone or iPad's App store will also indicate if an update is required. If all else fails, delete the app and re-install it again.
The app was created in partnership with GeoZone
So in this app, you’ll see POIs (points of interests) from the NZMCA Travel Directory as well as from GeoZone.
What is GeoZone?
GeoZone is the same technology start-up that gave you the app CamperMate. GeoZone is a network of 17, free travel applications that are all sharing the same GPS travel information & comments. This information is supplied by councils, government and third parties. The network also allows for users of those apps to add new locations through the apps and once verified, these submissions are added to the network of information. The sharing nature of the network ensures that any connected app draws from a network dedicated to showing accurate information. If you have CamperMate or have used it in the past, the NZMCA Travel App will have the same look, interface and features.
What features does the NZMCA Travel app have?
• The app synchronizes with the Travel Directory (TD) and presents whatever information the TD is currently showing including exclusive, private content only available to members.
• The app also shares GeoZone information
• The app also shows last minute discount deals on accommodation and activities around your current location. This could be helpful when a campsite you are close to has a special toward the end of the day ( if you don't want to receive notifications, you can turn this feature off).
• The network will also allow you to chat with other users nearby, helpful for finding out what's on in the area or sharing information. You also get useful alerts in real time from the NZMCA advising you of important site updates or events.
How often will the TD site Information change?
At the moment, there is a weekly synchronisation between the app and the TD.
What kind of site information would you find on the app?
You would find the exact information that’s currently on the online Travel Directory. At the app’s launch, there will be a couple of updates with more regular, nightly ones commencing in the next couple of months. You will also find GeoZone information and other useful POIs (Points of Interest). For site categories such as Camping Grounds, there will be additional information from GeoZone (which will be distinctive from the TD information). There may also be additional amenities displayed where applicable alongside the TD icon such as ‘boat ramp,’ ‘BBQ’, ‘playground’, ‘kayak hire or boat hire’. Photos displayed for sites are for the moment, all from GeoZone.
How accurate is the TD information on the app?
While every effort has been made to ensure the information contained in the Travel Directory Points of Interest is correct, we cannot guarantee 100% accuracy. Extensive efforts have been made to check every listing at source and we have also tapped into the local knowledge contained within each of the 25 NZMCA Areas to ensure accuracy. However, the changing nature of these data means that there will inevitably be some inaccuracies. Please send all corrections to email@example.com.
Where do I download the app and on what devices can I use it with?
For Android users, find it on Google’s Playstore, and on the App Store for those who use Apple. You can find icons for the Playstore and the Appstore on your phone itself. The app can be used both on a phone and on a tablet. The app works on Android version 4 (from Dec 2011 and newer); and at least on IOS8 for Apple (from iPhone 4S and newer). If for some reason you have Android 4 & up and the app refuses to install and prompts you with a compatibility problem, the issue may be with your phone’s specific device hardware or Operating System (OS) features. You have to remember that there are currently 24,000 unique Android devices (both smartphones and tablets, as of 2015) and all of them may vary by brand.
If you use Android and have both Campermate and the Travel App installed, you NEED to delete Campermate in order for the Travel App to update (that's because they use the same update platform).
Important things to know and do when you download the app
• Make sure you’re a current financial member of the NZMCA. If you’ve allowed your membership to lapse beyond the three-month grace period, you wouldn’t be able to log in.
• After downloading the app and opening it for the 1st time, make sure to select ok when prompted with ‘NZMCA Travel would like to send you notifications’ to enable you to receive NZMCA alerts.
• Also select ok when prompted with ‘Allow NZMCA Travel to access your locations even when you are not using the app’ to enable you to receive safety warnings and nearby discount deals. This doesn’t use your GPS and doesn’t drain your battery. NOTE: Your privacy is still protected even if you have this on. Your location may be known, but not your identity. This allows us to have a visual record of member-movement which would be useful in our continuing work with councils and other governing bodies, as well as planning for new NZMCA Parks and special events.
• For app issues and feedback, USE the ones provided for in the app. Avoid sending app queries via the NZMCA or the MHF website (and vice versa). With so many emails being received, our priority is answering emails sent to the correct address.
Know where exacty to send your feedback and query for it to be addressed properly
For TD site details ONLY, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. For technical issues, email email@example.com
I can't seem to log in, what should I do?
1. Are you a current financial member? If you let your membership lapse beyond the three-month period, you won't be able to log into the app
2. Enter your MAC Code in upper-case. MAC codes are all letters; if you see an O, it's the letter O and not numeral zero
3. If an error pop-up appears such as 'No Internet Connection' it means there's no data going into your phone. You need to be connected to a data source (your wifi or mobile phone carrier) in order to log in.
(this article has been updated as of January 2017)