Your privacy is important to us and that is why we wish to make clear in this Policy how we collect, use, disclose and protect your personal information. This Policy also sets out the way in which we comply with our obligations under the Privacy Act 1993.
The NZMCA Constitution, Bylaws and Rules may include other information about how we deal with your information. You should consider these documents carefully. Please also visit our website regularly as we may update this Policy from time to time and any changes will be posted there.
The information we collect
Information we collect from you
We collect information from you in a number of ways when you become a Member of NZMCA, use our Member services, or otherwise engage with us.
For example, when you apply for membership, we collect your identity and contact details, and payment information. Your card information is not however, retained after we have processed your membership subscription. We may also collect other personal details from you such as lifestyle information and your preferences relating to NZMCA products or services.
We may also record details of your interactions with us, for example, when you contact our Head Office regarding Member services or to make a complaint.
We may also collect information about your interest in our e-newsletters.
Information we collect from others
We may collect information about you from others, such as from our corporate partners.
We may be advised, for example, when you take out insurance with Covi NZMCA Insurance. We may also be advised by our trading partners when you claim a Member discount from them or apply for a Member benefit.
We may also collect information about you that is publicly available.
How we use your personal information
We use the information that we collect about you to provide Member services to you, or to otherwise engage with you.
We may use your personal information to:
- verify your membership with NZMCA so that we can provide Member services to you;
- contact you about your membership, respond to your queries, and communicate with you about our services or products;
- keep you informed of NZMCA news, including upcoming rallies and events. Your name and contact details may be provided to your Area Committee or the committee of any Special Interest Group you belong to for this purpose. Please advise us if you do not want your personal information to be distributed or used in this way;
- provide you with advertising and information that we believe may be relevant to you or your interests;
- notify you of your rights to participate in and vote at an Annual General Meeting. Your name and contact details may be provided to your Area Committee or the committee of any Special Interest Group you belong to for this purpose. Please advise us if you do not want your personal information to be distributed or used in this way;
- undertake analysis and research to ensure that we provide you with the best possible Member services;
- improve Member experience and to train our staff.
We may also use your information in other ways where permitted by law.
Who your information may be disclosed to
In providing you with Member services, we may sometimes need to disclose your information to others. We will not however, sell, trade, or rent your personal information to others.
This may include sharing your information with:
- your spouse/partner where you share a joint membership. Your spouse/partner will be able to access and update personal information we collect about you. Please advise us if you do not want your spouse/partner to access and update your personal information.;
- other Members to the extent that you have consented to this on your New Member Application Form or otherwise;
- other Members where you become a Life Member. The names of Life Members are published in a Members only area of our website. Please advise us if you do not want your name to be published in this way;
- third parties who assist with delivery of our elections, publications and communications to Members via post and email;
- Covi NZMCA Insurance for the purpose of marketing, promoting and advertising its insurance products to Members. Please advise us if you do not wish to receive direct marketing communications from Covi NZMCA Insurance;
- our other corporate partners to enable verification of your membership;
- third parties who assist us with operating our website;
- independent data storage providers.
We will only disclose your personal information to trusted third parties. We impose strict conditions their use of your information and require them to keep your information confidential.
If you are subject to the disciplinary process outlined in the NZMCA Constitution and Bylaws, and this results in adverse findings against you by the Disciplinary Committee and/or Appeal Authority, such findings may be published by the NZMCA Board as outlined in those rules.
Finally, we may release your information to government or law enforcement agencies when we believe such release is required to comply with the law.
How we protect your information
We are committed to keeping your information safe. We implement a variety of appropriate security measures to ensure your information is protected. These are reviewed and updated as appropriate.
We may store your information at third party premises, including at data storage facilities within or outside New Zealand. We use only trusted third parties to handle and store your information.
Your information may also be stored by our corporate partners. We contractually require our corporate partners to ensure that your information is securely kept.
Access to your information
You can request a copy of any personal information we hold about you. You can also ask us to correct any information we hold about you that you believe is wrong or inaccurate. However, if we believe the information we have is correct, we will attach your request to the information.
If your personal details change, we encourage you to update your details with us. Holding up-to-date information about our Members helps us to provide better service to you.
To correct or update any information, please login to the Members Portal at www.nzmca.org.nz, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us on +64 9 298 5466. Please note that when you contact us, we may need to take steps to verify your identity.
If you want a copy of your information or to make a privacy act request please email us at email@example.com, or by post to P.O.Box 72147,Papakura 2244. All requests must be in writing.
Additional terms that apply to some residents of the European Economic Area (EEA)
In addition to rights already recorded above, if you are based in the European Union, you may have the following additional rights in relation to the personal information we hold about you, including the:
- right to erasure of personal information;
- right to restrict processing of personal information or object to processing;
- right to data portability;
- right to withdraw consent to processing of your personal information; and
- right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
Please be aware that some of these rights may be limited or unavailable where we have an overriding interest or legal obligation to continue to process the data. If you have any questions about requests relating to your personal information please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us on
+64 9 298 5466.
(Last updated 21 July 2019)