The NZMCA Travel App is here
Some important stuff you need to know about the new NZMCA Travel App
AT A GLANCE: What to expect from the NZMCA Travel App
* It has POIs (Points of Interest) from both the NZMCA Travel Directory (TD) and GeoZone.
* There will be slight variations in how certain Amenities/Facilities are presented.
* As this is our first app, expect some initial teething problems; your feedback would be most appreciated to help us evolve the app into an important tool that can enhance the membership experience.
The app was created in partnership with GeoZone
So in this app, you’ll see POIs (points of interests) from the NZMCA Travel Directory as well as from GeoZone.
What is GeoZone?
GeoZone is the same technology start-up that gave you the app CamperMate. GeoZone is a network of 17, free travel applications that are all sharing the same GPS travel information & comments. This information is supplied by councils, government and third parties. The network also allows for users of those apps to add new locations through the apps and once verified, these submissions are added to the network of information. The sharing nature of the network ensures that any connected app draws from a network dedicated to showing accurate information. If you have CamperMate or have used it in the past, the NZMCA Travel App will have the same look, interface and features.
What features does the NZMCA Travel app have?
• The app synchronizes with the Travel Directory (TD) and presents whatever information the TD is currently showing including exclusive, private content only available to members.
• The app also shares GeoZone information
• The app also shows last minute discount deals on accommodation and activities around your current location. This could be helpful when a campsite you are close to has a special toward the end of the day.
• The network will also allow you to chat with other users nearby, helpful for finding out what's on in the area or sharing information. You also get useful alerts in real time from the NZMCA advising you of important site updates or events.
How often will the TD site Information change?
For now it wouldn’t be as often but in January 2016, it would most likely be a nightly synchronization with the Travel Directory which means that changes made today, will be in effect the next day.
What kind of site information would you find on the app?
You would find the exact information that’s currently on the online Travel Directory. At the app’s launch, there will be a couple of updates with more regular, nightly ones commencing in January 2016. You will also find GeoZone information and other useful POIs (Points of Interest). For site categories such as Camping Grounds, there will be additional information from GeoZone (which will be distinctive from the TD information). There may also be additional amenities displayed where applicable alongside the TD icon such as ‘boat ramp,’ ‘BBQ’, ‘playground’, ‘kayak hire or boat hire’. Photos displayed for sites are for the moment, all from GeoZone.
How accurate is the TD information on the app?
While every effort has been made to ensure the information contained in the Travel Directory Points of Interest is correct, we cannot guarantee 100% accuracy. Extensive efforts have been made to check every listing at source and we have also tapped into the local knowledge contained within each of the 25 NZMCA Areas to ensure accuracy. However, the changing nature of these data means that there will inevitably be some inaccuracies.
Where do I download the app and on what devices can I use it with?
For Android users, find it on Google’s Playstore, and on the App Store for those who use Apple. The app can be used both on a phone and on a tablet.
Important things to know and do when you download the app
• Make sure you’re a current financial member of the NZMCA. If you’ve allowed your membership to lapse beyond the three-month grace period, you wouldn’t be able to log in.
• After downloading the app and opening it for the 1st time, make sure to select ok when prompted with ‘NZMCA Travel would like to send you notifications’ to enable you to receive NZMCA alerts.
• Also select ok when prompted with ‘Allow NZMCA Travel to access your locations even when you are not using the app’ to enable you to receive safety warnings and nearby discount deals. This doesn’t use your GPS and doesn’t drain your battery. NOTE: Your privacy is still protected even if you have this on. Your location may be known, but not your identity. This allows us to have a visual record of member-movement which would be useful in our continuing work with councils and other governing bodies, as well as planning for new NZMCA Parks and special events.
• For app issues and feedback, USE the ones provided for in the app. Avoid sending app queries via the NZMCA or the MHF website (and vice versa). With so many emails being received, our priority is answering emails sent to the correct address.